In 2001, the Texas Legislature declared West Tawakoni the "Catfish Capital of Texas."
West Tawakoni is the “Catfish Capital” of Texas for a good reason. We are located on the west side of Lake Tawakoni which boasts some of the biggest blue cats in the south, and has on more than one occasion produced multiple 5 fish stringers over 200lbs! Lake Tawakoni boasts 225 miles of shoreline, with a large abundance of Crappie, Black Bass, Sand Bass, Striped Bass, Hybrid Bass which of course help feed its “MONSTER” Catfish.
Please bookmark this page and check back often for updates.
We are glad to have you visit our community. West Tawakoni is surrounded on three sides by Lake Tawakoni. We pride ourselves as a recreational area for visitors and as home to many folks who work in Dallas, Mesquite, Garland and other suburbs of the Metroplex. We are in south Hunt County and offer the best of "small town living". We are part of Quinlan Independent School District, offering excellent educational opportunities.
Our City Park offers thousands of feet of shoreline to offer you a great camping, fishing, boating and play area. You can bring you own camper or rent one of ours to get the full benefit of camping and enjoying the outdoors. We have pavilions available to rent for your picnics and family outings.
Hwy 276 separates the North part of town from the South. Lake Tawakoni holds both State and National records for catfish, however it is also home to ample stripers, crappie and hybrids. Several RV parks afford rental spaces for more permanent visitors.
Greenville is 20 miles to our North. Dallas is 45 miles to our West. Terrell is 20 miles to our South. So whatever your needs or whatever your destination. take time to visit West Tawakoni. We will be waiting for you.
Do you have suggestions or opinions about our new website? We would love to hear them!
Click here to send us your comments.
IRIS Emergency Notification System for the City of West Tawakoni is now up and running and is FREE for anyone residing in the City of West Tawakoni. If you have not gotten your contact information in to the City please click below to get a copy of the form and make sure you are on the list to receive emergency notifications by phone (landline or cell phone). You can also stop by City Hall to fill out the form.
The City of West Tawakoni has implemented an emergency notification system using IRIS/TechRadium, Inc. – MASS NOTIFICATION SERVICE. Residential land lines and/or cell phones are included in this system.
Anyone interested in participation is asked to fill out the application and mail it, or bring it, to the West Tawakoni City Hall, 1533 E State Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
You can contact City Hall at 903-447-2285 for additional information.
Please print and fill out the application and return it to City Hall.
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Location: City Hall, 1533 E. Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Workshop & Special Session Meeting: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm Location: City Hall, 1533 E. Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
EDC Meeting: Monday, March 7, 2016 at 5 P.M.
Location: City Hall, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Keep West Tawakoni Beautiful: Thursday, December 17th at 4:30 P.M.
Location: City Hall Annex, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
West Tawakoni Park Board: Tuesday, February 2nd at 6:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall, 1533 East Highway 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
West Tawakoni Planning & Zoning Board: Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 6:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall, 1533 East Highwy 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Lake Tawakoni Texas Announcement February 27th,2016
Lake Tawakoni Texas Announcement February 27th,2016Posted by Cabela's King Kat on Tuesday, January 5, 2016
For More Information CLICK HERE
Captains Meeting at Chamber of Commerce February 26, 2016
Late Registration will be at the Chamber of Commerce from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Captains Meeting & Seminar at the Chamber of Commerce and begins at 7:00 p.m.
Tournament Begins Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 6:30 a.m. and must be in by 3:00 p.m.
Anglers must be in weigh-in line by 4:00 p.m. with a five fish limit per team
To PreRegister go online to: www.kingkatusa.com or call 502-384-5924
Kids Rodeo Event: West Tawakoni City Park
February 27, 2016
1208 East Highway 276 West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Crappie USA & Cabela's King Kat Trail For Kids 12 & Under
Sign-Up: 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. -----Tournament: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Bring Your Favorite Fishing Pole -- Live Bait Allowed
Parent or Guardian Must Accompany Each Youngster
Sponsored by the West Tawakoni EDC
Sanitation Solutions are delivering Poly Carts to the City of West Tawakoni for its garbage customers. Customers will begin using Poly Carts beginning February 3rd. Garbage must be placed in the poly cart to be picked up. Sanitation Solutions will pick up a bulk item the 2nd week of each month. A new fenced in area has been setup for City of West Tawakoni garbage customer's use and is available year round. A 40 yard dumpster is available for use at the cleanup site (sewer plant), 1401 East Rabbit Cove Road. We do ask if the dumpster is full to wait to dispose of your bulk until a new dumpster can be delivered.
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF WEST TAWAKONI, TEXAS AMENDING THE CONTRACT BY ADDING POLY CARTS MANDATORY FOR ALL RESIDENTIAL HOUSEHOLDS; RATES FOR THE COLLECTION OF POLY CART TRASH COLLECTION FOR RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL HANDHELD CUSTOMERS; PROVIDING FOR THE COLLECTION OF A DEPOSIT FOR COMMERCIAL DUMPSTERS AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the City of West Tawakoni, under an amended contract with Sanitation Solutions approved on October 13, 2015, provides trash collection services to all residents and commercial businesses of the City; and
WHEREAS, Contractor, Sanitation Solutions agrees to provide 96-gallon Poly Cart(s) services to each household beginning on the date of February 1, 2016;
WHEREAS, the Contract with Sanitation Solutions allows for periodic increases of 3% percent annually;
WHEREAS, the City of West Tawakoni will require a Deposit for Commercial Dumpsters;
WHEREAS, the City of West Tawakoni sanitation rates for poly carts to residential & commercial handheld customers will require an increase of $2.00 plus tax per customer according to the amendment with Contractor;
WHEREAS, the City of West Tawakoni can no longer bear the cost of commercial dumpsters when a commercial account is locked for non-pay; and
WHEREAS, the City of West Tawakoni shall require all poly carts be placed by the curb no earlier than 7:00 a.m. on the day before pickup and must be removed on the day after pickup no later than 7:00 p.m.;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED THAT ORDINANCE NO. 245-9-9-2014 BE AMENDED AS FOLLOWS:
1. The current base rate $15.35 (plus sales tax of $1.27 for residential service is
$16.62 per month effective January 1, 2016 beginning with the February 1,
2016 billing cycle.
2. Commercial rates: See attached schedule for rates effective January 1,
2016, beginning with the February 1, 2016 billing cycle.
3. The base rate (including sales tax) will increase from $14.45 to $16.62
effective with the February 1, 2016 billing cycle.
SEVERABILITY: If any section, provision, or part of this Ordinance be determined to be invalid or unconstitutional, such adjudication shall not affect the validity of the ordinance as a whole or any section, provision, or part thereof, not adjudicated invalid or unconstitutional.
EFFECTIVE DATE: The Ordinance will take affect following a regular meeting on November 10, 2015, a workshop and second reading on December 8, 2015 in which the City Council voted as follows:
For: Councilor Goodson, Councilor Page, Councilor Shoemake, Councilor Varnes & Council Milburn
Against: 0 Abstained: 0
Date Approved First Reading: November 10, 2015
For: Councilor Goodson, Councilor Page, Councilor Shoemake, Councilor Varnes & Councilor Milburn
Against: 0 Abstained: 0
PASSED AND APPROVED by the City Council of the City of West Tawakoni of the City Council held at City Hall this the 8th day of December, 2015, following publication of this Ordinance, as required by State Law.
Calvin Travers - Mayor Anette Lemons – City Secretary
1. Use of the Polycart(s) for curbside collection is mandatory beginning on the date of February 3, 2016.
2. Each resident will be given one (1) 95-gallon Polycart(s).
3. Only 95-gallon Polycart(s) may be placed at the curb.
4. Secondary units and supplemental units thereafter will carry and additional charge of $5.00 per unit/ per month.
5. The Polycart(s) will remain the property of the contractor which means that damaged or stolen Polycart(s) will be replaced at no charge to the resident.
6. All garbage waste generated by a resident must be placed inside the 95-gallon Polycart(s) and nothing outside of the Polycart(s) will be collected. Please Note: One bulk item will be picked up on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at no additional charge.
7. All 95-gallon Polycart(s) shall be placed at a single collection point within three (3) feet of the street curb.
8. Polycart(s) can be placed at the curb as early as 7:00AM the day before the scheduled collection, but no later than 7:00PM the day after collection.
9. It is the responsibility of the resident to bring his/ or her Polycart(s) back up into the yard within twenty-four (24) hours of being emptied.
10. Bulky items such as stoves, refrigerators (with all CFC removed/ requires written documentation), water tanks, washing machines, furniture, and any other similar items must be held until the City schedules a City-wide Cleanup event or items may be taken to cleanup site in designated area at 1401 Rabbit Cove Road (Please call city hall prior to use).
11. It is the responsibility of the occupant of the property to keep the area around the garbage receptacles clean and in a sanitary condition.
12. Resident owners of the 95-gallon Polycart(s) who fail to comply with the City representative direction of this ordinance may be subject to a personal visit if the situation calls for it.