In 2001, the Texas Legislature declared West Tawakoni the "Catfish Capital of Texas."
West Tawakoni is the “Catfish Capital” of Texas for a good reason. We are located on the west side of Lake Tawakoni which boasts some of the biggest blue cats in the south, and has on more than one occasion produced multiple 5 fish stringers over 200lbs! Lake Tawakoni boasts 225 miles of shoreline, with a large abundance of Crappie, Black Bass, Sand Bass, Striped Bass, Hybrid Bass which of course help feed its “MONSTER” Catfish.
Please bookmark this page and check back often for updates.
We are glad to have you visit our community. West Tawakoni is surrounded on three sides by Lake Tawakoni. We pride ourselves as a recreational area for visitors and as home to many folks who work in Dallas, Mesquite, Garland and other suburbs of the Metroplex. We are in south Hunt County and offer the best of "small town living". We are part of Quinlan Independent School District, offering excellent educational opportunities.
Our City Park offers thousands of feet of shoreline to offer you a great camping, fishing, boating and play area. You can bring you own camper or rent one of ours to get the full benefit of camping and enjoying the outdoors. We have pavilions available to rent for your picnics and family outings.
Hwy 276 separates the North part of town from the South. Lake Tawakoni holds both State and National records for catfish, however it is also home to ample stripers, crappie and hybrids. Several RV parks afford rental spaces for more permanent visitors.
Greenville is 20 miles to our North. Dallas is 45 miles to our West. Terrell is 20 miles to our South. So whatever your needs or whatever your destination. take time to visit West Tawakoni. We will be waiting for you.
Do you have suggestions or opinions about our new website? We would love to hear them!
Click here to send us your comments.
IRIS Emergency Notification System for the City of West Tawakoni is now up and running and is FREE for anyone residing in the City of West Tawakoni. If you have not gotten your contact information in to the City please click below to get a copy of the form and make sure you are on the list to receive emergency notifications by phone (landline or cell phone). You can also stop by City Hall to fill out the form.
The City of West Tawakoni has implemented an emergency notification system using IRIS/TechRadium, Inc. – MASS NOTIFICATION SERVICE. Residential land lines and/or cell phones are included in this system.
Anyone interested in participation is asked to fill out the application and mail it, or bring it, to the West Tawakoni City Hall, 1533 E State Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
You can contact City Hall at 903-447-2285 for additional information.
Please print and fill out the application and return it to City Hall.
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Location: City Hall, 1533 E. Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Special Session: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. Location: City Hall, 1533 E. Hwy. 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
EDC Special Meeting: Monday, May 2, 2016 at 5 P.M. - CANCELED
Location: City Hall, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
Keep West Tawakoni Beautiful: Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 4:30 P.M.
Location: City Hall, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
West Tawakoni Park Board: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 6:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall, 1533 East Highway 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
West Tawakoni Planning & Zoning Board: Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 6:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall, 1533 East Highwy 276, West Tawakoni, TX 75474
DATE: SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2016
8:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
LOCATION: OLD TXDOT FACILITY HWY 69 SOUTH, GREENVILLE, TEXAS
1/4 MILE SOUTH OF FM 1570 INTERSECTION NEXT TO GEUS
RESTRICTIONS: HUNT COUNTY RESIDENTS (PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIRED), NO COMMERCIAL ENTITIES, NOT MORE THAN 25 TIRES PER PERSON, NO TIRES SO LARGE THAT CANNOT BE EASILY LOADED INTO TRANSPORT TRAILERS, NO TIRES ON RIMS
SPONSORED BY: HUNT COUNTY OFFICE OF HOMELAND SECURITY
TXDOT informed the City just before 2:00 this afternoon that two lanes on the new bridge would open in approximately two hours. Please Use Caution: This is a change that may take citizens time to adjust to.
1. Use of the RED Polycart(s) for curbside collection is mandatory beginning on the date of February 3, 2016.
2. Each resident will be given one (1) 95-gallon Polycart(s).
3. Only 95-gallon Polycart(s) may be placed at the curb.
4. Secondary units and supplemental units thereafter will carry and additional charge of $5.00 per unit/ per month.
5. The Polycart(s) will remain the property of the contractor which means that damaged or stolen Polycart(s) will be replaced at no charge to the resident.
6. All garbage waste generated by a resident must be placed inside the 95-gallon Polycart(s) and nothing outside of the Polycart(s) will be collected. Please Note: One bulk item will be picked up on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at no additional charge by Sanitation Solutions.
7. All 95-gallon Polycart(s) shall be placed at a single collection point within three (3) feet of the street curb.
8. Polycart(s) can be placed at the curb as early as 7:00AM the day before the scheduled collection, but no later than 7:00PM the day after collection.
9. It is the responsibility of the resident to bring his/ or her Polycart(s) back up into the yard within twenty-four (24) hours of being emptied.
10. TWICE WEEKLY (TUESDAY & THURSDAY - MAY 3, 2016 - OCTOBER 13, 2016 - 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. & 1:00 P.M. - 3:00 P.M.) - Items may be taken to designated area at 1401 Rabbit Cove Road Water Bill & Drivers License with Address Matching Water Bill is Mandatory (NO TIRES, NO RIMS, NO PAINT). Bulky items such as stoves, refrigerators (with all CFC removed/ requires written documentation), water tanks, washing machines, furniture, and any other similar items. NO TIRES, NO TIRES ON RIMS, NO PAINT. (ILLEGAL DUMPING IS A STATE VIOLATION - CAMERA'S IN USE - VIOLATERS WILL BE PROSECUTED).
11. KEEP WEST TAWAKONI BEAUTIFUL will assist the City on designated Saturday a few times annually. Watch your Water Bill for Specific Dates.
12. It is the responsibility of the occupant of the property to keep the area around the garbage receptacles clean and in a sanitary condition.
13. Resident owners of the 95-gallon Polycart(s) who fail to comply with the City representative direction of this ordinance may be subject to a personal visit if the situation calls for it.